Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with “inappropriate and/or violent” behavior by the Football Association.
It comes after an incident relating to the Manchester United forward’s behavior at Everton last season.
Video footage showed Ronaldo appearing to knock a fan’s mobile phone to the ground after United’s 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on April 9, for which the Portuguese was cautioned by Merseyside Police.
In a statement from Merseyside Police at the time of the incident, they said: “We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in connection with an allegation of assault and criminal damage.
“The charge relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.
“The matter has been treated with a conditional warning. The matter is now closed.”
However, the FA has decided to investigate the incident and a spokesperson said on Twitter: “Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with breaching FA Rule E3 for an incident which took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton on Saturday 9 April 2022 .
“It is alleged that the forward’s behavior after the final whistle was inappropriate and/or violent.”
Manchester United issued a statement saying: “We note the FA’s notice in relation to Cristiano Ronaldo. We will support the player in his response to the allegation.”
Ronaldo had previously shared a statement apologizing for his actions and offering the teenager in question, Jacob Harding, an opportunity to attend a match at Old Trafford.
Saying: “I would like to apologize for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship.”